Thursday, April 7, 2011

For this installment of our blog, I, Mark O’Day, drummer for The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra, thought it might be fun to answer some fan questions so here goes. 

Dear GCO, 
I’ve seen you perform live many times. You’re great! But everytime I see you, I can’t stop thinking about this question: What is the meaning of the word hemidemismiquaver? 
-Lori M. (Taos, NM)

Hey Lori, 
Thanks for the question! Hemidemisemiquaver: A Musical time of 1/64. We use these quite frequently in GCO. Unless, of course, Lisi has been drinking. Then we have to stick to quarter & eighth notes.

I love The Galactic Cowboy Orchestra! My question is: Can I join your band? I think I could really fill out your sound. I play tuba. Just let me know. 
–Gustaf P. (Newark, NJ)

Hello Gustaf,
I think I speak for the entire band when I say YES! It would fill out our song for sure. See you at the next gig. Wear something nice please.

Wow! Love the sounds! Your band is in such incredible physical condition, especially the drummer. My question is: Do you have individual personal trainers or just 1 trainer for the whole band? 
– Mary S. (Waterloo, IA)

Thanks for noticing, Mary! We have both. You shouldn’t skimp when it comes to your health. By the way, Mark the drummer wants you to submit a photo of yourself. 

Thanks for the questions! Now on to the blog!..

We’re in the home stretch of our extensive tour of the East Coast. We are finishing it up with a brutal upper cut to middle America. The band has laughed and cried along the way. But more laughs than tears so… success! In Atlanta, I got to hang with a friend of mine from Music School. It was great except their house was like the Hot Zone. His wife and kid both had some mystery illness. I got out after 3 days largely unscathed. My friend is a New England transplant and seeing him trying to assimilate into the Deep South is sorta hilarious. Think the Sopranos meet Gone with the Wind.

Motels on the road are always an adventure. I’m working on a Bed Bug Rating System. But, unfortunately, it’s not quite done yet. I’ll keep you posted. In lieu of that, I thought it might be informative to share some actual comments and ratings on just one cozy hide-away we stayed at. This place was located in a town called Endwell, ironically enough. Although, we got out without a bed bug attack, so I guess it was an appropriate name after all. Anyway, here are the ratings/comments:

“Horrible and nasty.” 1 star
“First off, the room had bed bugs.” 1 star

Aaah…. Need I quote any further. This scores 5 on Mark’s Bed Bug Scale.

“Burn all your clothes after staying at this motel.” 1 star

God, these are better than I thought hehe! This review said he burned his clothes and shaved his body hair! Mark’s Bed Bug Scale scores this a 5 as well. The shaving thing bumped it up.

I think you get the idea. On a fun note while we stayed there I went for a run. In the process I got to see an old donut shop that was closed for asbestos removal. Mesothelioma Donuts… yum yum! Onward to Indianapolis.
Your faithful scribe,
Mark

1 comment:

  1. Great blog entry, Mark! See, Lisi, I told you drummers could write.

    ReplyDelete